The Bottom Line
The best thing about System Control A1 is that it supports up to 8 CPU cores! Most Windows gadgets that track CPU load only support 1, 2, or 4 cores making this Windows gadget uniquely able to track CPU use for the latest processors.
There aren't a lot of options with System Control A1 but it's well designed and very attractive.
Note: The System Control A1 gadget is available for Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
- Displays CPU usage for up to 8 cores
- Supports five levels of opacity
- Simple to use and understand
- More responsive than some other CPU and RAM load trackers
- No configurable options or skin choices
- Uptime display tracks gadget uptime, not necessarily system uptime
- The System Control A1 gadget provides a constantly updated view of up to 8 CPU cores.
- Well designed and attractive interface.
- System uptime (by way of gadget uptime) is displayed alongside other stats in System Control A1.
- Full range of opacity options are available.
- The System Control A1 gadget shows CPU history in a histogram display.
- Gadget displays currently available memory as a progress bar and in MB.
Guide Review - System Control A1 Gadget
The System Control A1 gadget is a very good CPU/RAM usage Windows gadget. Lots of Windows gadgets track these resources but if you're looking for one that focuses on CPU and memory, I think System Control A1 is the best choice.
The best thing about System Control A1 is its ability to individually track up to 8 CPU cores! Most Windows gadgets that track CPU usage only track, at most, 4 CPU cores. This is a big plus for System Control A1.
One thing I didn't like about System Control A1 was its lack of options. It does support five different opacities so it's sure to fit with your desktop scheme in some way but the addition of skin support would be a welcome change. I also found the large current time display a bit distracting and unnecessary but it wasn't distracting enough to stop using the gadget.
The System Control A1 gadget is available for free from Xyberdyn. See How to Install a Windows Gadget if you need help.
Many CPU and RAM usage gadgets are available for Windows 7 and Windows Vista, many of which are on my gadget list, but I think System Control A1 is one of the best choices.