The Bottom Line
Update: The APC BR1500LCD is discontinued so you might have a hard time finding one. It's been replaced with the APC BR1500G.
APC's Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD 120V uninterruptible power supply (UPS) is one of the easiest to use, fully featured battery backup devices I've ever used. The LCD screen, large number of outlets providing battery backup, and impressive run time all come together in this excellent choice for a UPS.
The Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD 120V (BR1500LCD) is the perfect UPS for the modern home computer, powerful enough to keep even the hungriest systems running during power interruptions. APC has long been a leader among UPS manufacturers and have once again proved their dominance with the BR1500LCD.
- Provides battery backup to six outlets
- Provides surge protection to two outlets, modem/phone/fax, and cable
- Built-in LCD screen gives easy access to all important status information
- Installation is quick and painless
- Powerful enough to support today's large computer systems
- Battery connection instructions not clear enough for beginners
- Six of the eight outlets provide battery backup! That's a lot of devices you can keep running during a power hit.
- The LCD screen on the APC Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD 120V keeps you informed of everything imaginable about your UPS.
- Overall, installation is very easy, though a few more details on the battery connection steps would be helpful.
- Empty-to-full battery charge only takes 16 hours, though my unit came 100% charged.
- The APC Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD 120V is heavy (about 30lbs), but no UPS with batteries of this size will weight much less.
- Maximum output power capacity is a whopping 865 Watts / 1500 VA, enough for today's most powerful home computers.
- Software and cable are included to help manage the UPS from your computer.
Guide Review - APC BR1500LCD
Overall, I was very impressed with APC's Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD 120V UPS. Among the many UPS devices from APC that I've used, this is by far their best model yet.
I was reminded of how heavy UPS devices can be as I opened the box. It's not just this UPS - all backup systems are going to be heavy. The Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD 120V comes in at about 30lbs.
The first step was to open the Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD 120V, remove the internal batteries, and connect them to the unit. The diagrams for this step were a bit confusing and lacked a written description. A novice might have problems getting past this first step.
After getting over this hurdle, the remaining steps involved connecting the computer and turning on the UPS. The instructions advise to charge the unit for 16 hours prior to using it, but my unit showed a 100% charge right out of the box.
Many UPS systems are either not powerful enough or are far too expensive. The Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD 120V UPS really delivered here. I connected a newer computer, two 19" monitors, a printer, a router, and a cable modem and according to the readout on the LCD display, I can enjoy over 25 minutes of runtime during a power outage.
To determine how much support the Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD 120V can give your equipment, first use the Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator to calculate your computer's wattage requirements. Take this number and add it to the wattage requirements for other devices you would plug into the UPS (like your monitor, etc.). Take this totaled number and check the APC Runtime Chart for Back-UPS RS to find your estimated runtime.
The APC Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD 120V UPS device lives up to this company's reputation of high quality and well performing battery backup devices. I highly recommend that you keep the Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD 120V on a short list of candidates for your next UPS.