Microsoft.directx.directinput.dll Error Messages
There are several ways that microsoft.directx.directinput.dll errors can show up on your computer. Here are several of the more common ways you might see microsoft.directx.directinput.dll errors:
- "Microsoft.directx.directinput.dll not found. Reinstalling might help fix this."
- "The file microsoft.directx.directinput.dll is missing"
- "Microsoft.directx.directinput.DLL Not Found"
- "File microsoft.directx.directinput.dll not found"
Cause of Microsoft.directx.directinput.dll ErrorsMicrosoft.directx.directinput.dll issues are caused in one way or another by an issue with Microsoft DirectX.
The microsoft.directx.directinput.dll file is one of many files contained in the DirectX software collection. Since DirectX is utilized by most Windows based games and advanced graphics programs, microsoft.directx.directinput.dll errors usually show up only when using these programs.
Troubleshooting StepsImportant Note: Do not download the microsoft.directx.directinput.dll DLL file individually from any "DLL download site." There are a number of excellent reasons that downloading DLLs from these sites are never a good idea.
Note: If you've already downloaded microsoft.directx.directinput.dll from one of those DLL download sites, remove it from wherever you put it and continue with these steps.
- Restart your computer if you haven't yet.
The microsoft.directx.directinput.dll error might be a fluke and a simple restart could clear it up completely.
- Install the latest version of Microsoft DirectX. Chances are, upgrading to the latest version of DirectX will fix the microsoft.directx.directinput.dll not found error.
Note: Microsoft often releases updates to DirectX without updating the version number or letter so be sure to install the latest release even if your version is technically the same.
Note: The same DirectX installation program works with all versions of Windows including Windows 7, 8, Vista, XP, and more. It will replace any missing DirectX 11, DirectX 10, or DirectX 9 file.
- Assuming the latest DirectX version from Microsoft doesn't fix the microsoft.directx.directinput.dll error, look for a DirectX installation program on your game or application DVD or CD. Sometimes the software developers will include a copy of DirectX on the installation disc if their game or program utilizes DirectX.
Sometimes, though not often, the DirectX version included on the disc is a better fit for the program than the latest version available from Microsoft.
- Uninstall the game or software program and then reinstall it again. Something might have happened to the files in the program that work with microsoft.directx.directinput.dll and a reinstall could do the trick.
- Restore the microsoft.directx.directinput.dll file from the latest DirectX software package. If the above troubleshooting steps haven't worked to solve your microsoft.directx.directinput.dll error, try extracting the microsoft.directx.directinput.dll individually from the DirectX downloadable package.
- Update the drivers for your video card. While it's not the most common solution, in some situations updating the drivers for the video card in your computer could correct this DirectX issue.
Applies ToThe microsoft.directx.directinput.dll error message could apply to any program that utilizes Microsoft DirectX, most commonly video games.
Any of Microsoft's operating systems since Windows 98 may be affected by microsoft.directx.directinput.dll and other DirectX issues. This includes Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows 2000.