The Bottom Line
Network Meter is probably the best all-in-one wireless and wired network related system monitoring gadget for Windows.
Network Meter shows your internal IP address, external IP address, SSID, and wireless signal quality. Network meter also shows your current upload and download usage and keeps a running total.
If you have any interest in the current state of your network connection, and the data moving across it, you'll love Network Meter.
Note: The Network Meter gadget works in Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
- Displays a live view of all important network activity
- Provides easy access to external IP address
- Auto notifications of updates to the gadget
- Highly customizable color and size options
- Integrated speed test and IP lookup are cool extras
- Moving back and forth from wired and wireless networks requires a manual change in the options
- Network Meter gadget shows your internal and external IP addresses for easy reference.
- On wireless networks, Network Meter also shows your current SSID, signal strength, and security status.
- Current amount of data being downloaded and uploaded is shown in a live stream in the gadget.
- You can perform a speed test directly from the Network Meter gadget.
- Huge number of options make Network Meter very customizable for your needs.
- Size and color are configurable far beyond what gadgets typically provide.
Guide Review - Network Meter Gadget
Network Meter is an excellent network monitoring gadget for Windows 7 and Windows Vista. This gadget shows everything that you might want to know about the current state of your network connection.
Network Meter works just great "out of the box" but can be tweaked in about every way you could imagine, making it a highly customizable Windows gadget. If you use a lot of gadgets, you know how important customization is.
When configured for a wireless network, the Network Meter gadget will show your current SSID, plus you signal strength and if your connection is secure.
In addition, and also for wired networks, your current IP address, both internal and external, are displayed right on top, followed by easy one-click access to an Internet speed test and and IP lookup service.
Curious how much data your computer is sending or receiving right now? The Network Meter gadget shows you that in a live, 1-second updated (this is customizable) stream right on the gadget.
Network Meter is a free download available from AddGadget. See How To Install a Windows Gadget if you need help.
I really liked Network Meter. There are several network management gadgets available for Windows 7 and Windows Vista but Network Meter is certainly one of my favorites.
Note: This review is based on Network Meter v8.1. Please let me know if I need to update this review based on a new release of Network Meter.