The Bottom Line
The CP1500AVRLCD UPS from CyberPower is the best battery backup in its class that I've had the pleasure of reviewing. The attractive design, out-of-box usability, and unique battery and energy conservation features make the CP1500AVRLCD the easy UPS choice for high-end PCs.
CyberPower has been in the UPS business for over a decade and it shows. The Automatic Voltage Regulation and GreenPower UPS features alone are enough reasons to choose the CP1500AVRLCD over a similar UPS.
If you're looking for the best UPS for your high performance computer then I'm happy to say your search is over. Buy this one.
- Slim, rounded design is an attractive alternative to standard box-shaped battery backups
- No battery connection required after purchase making this UPS ready right out of the box
- GreenPower UPS significantly reduces energy requirements compared to devices without this feature
- Battery life as high as 6 years thanks in large part to AVR technology
- Weighs in at a bit over 25 lbs - lighter than most competing UPS devices
- The CP1500AVRLCD provides only 4 battery backup outlets
- Four outlets provide battery backup plus surge protection while 4 additional outlets provide surge protection only.
- The integrated LCD screen on the CP1500AVRLCD displays anything you might want to know about the UPS's status.
- GreenPower UPS technology bypasses the UPS transformer when incoming power is normal, drastically reducing energy usage.
- Unlike some other UPS units, the CP1500AVRLCD batteries come preconnected making this unit ready to go.
- The AVR maintains a safe voltage during minor power fluctuations without using the battery, greatly extending battery life.
- Maximum capacity on the CP1500AVRLCD is a powerful 900 Watts / 1500 VA, perfect support for today's high performance PCs.
- This CyberPower UPS only weighs 25 lbs which is noticeably lighter than other battery backups in its class.
- PowerPanel Management software and USB cable are included with the CP1500AVRLCD to help manage the UPS from your computer.
- Empty-to-full battery charge takes about 16 hours but chances are the UPS will be at least partially charged when purchased.
- The user manual included with the CP1500AVRLCD is surprisingly easy to read and understand.
Guide Review - CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD
I was extremely impressed with CyberPower's CP1500AVRLCD UPS. I've recommended several battery backup systems for high performance computers before, both here on About.com and to my clients, but the CP1500AVRLCD trumps them all.
Two features set the CP1500AVRLCD above similarly powered battery backup devices that I've reviewed - GreenPower UPS Bypass and Automatic Voltage Regulation.
GreenPower UPS Bypass is an energy savings technology proprietary to CyberPower. In a traditional UPS design, incoming power is always routed through a transformer that helps regulate voltage - even when the incoming voltage is fine.
The CP1500AVRLCD, with GreenPower UPS technology, bypasses the transformer during the huge majority of the time that the power from the outlet is performing as expected. This reduces the energy needed to run the UPS, saving an estimated $70 per year on your electricity costs!
Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) is a technology used to stabilize the inconsistent power you sometimes receive from the outlet. Your computer needs 110V/120V to operate properly. In a standard UPS, the battery will provide power if the incoming voltage drops below this level.
In the CP1500AVRLCD, the Automatic Voltage Regulator provides consistent power to your computer system when the incoming voltage drops to as low as 90V or increases as high as 140V, greatly reducing battery use and extending the life of your batteries. The CP1500AVRLCD operates as a traditional UPS when incoming voltages are outside this range.
The CP1500AVRLCD contains two identical batteries that you can replace yourself when they do eventually stop working properly. You can replace them with any HR1234W battery.
Unboxing and setting up the CP1500AVRLCD couldn't have been easier. There was no battery hookup required on my part, alone a reason to choose this UPS over some other ones.
With a 900W maximum capacity, the CP1500AVRLCD UPS is an excellent choice for performance systems. I have a high-end desktop computer with two 19" LCD monitors and according to the LCD front panel on the UPS, I'm at 16% load and can expect approximately 40 minutes of runtime.
The only thing that kept me from giving a full five stars to the CP1500AVRLCD is the fact that there are only 4 battery backup outlets. Though to be fair that's probably plenty for the majority of people, plus there are 4 surge-only outlets. Eight outlets should cover the gamut of computer related devices in most workspaces.
CyberPower's CP1500AVRLCD UPS is very simply the best UPS device I've ever tested. I have no reservations whatsoever about recommending it to anyone looking for a UPS for a high-end computer system.