My first suggestion would be to take a look at one or both of these lists of BIOS access keys:
Every computer's motherboard has a BIOS manufacturer so if neither of the above BIOS resources help, this list of BIOS access keyboard commands based on the original BIOS manufacturer should get you in without a problem.
As your computer boots up, look for one of the following BIOS manufacturer's names to flash on the screen. The BIOS manufacturer name usually appears as a logo in the top-left corner or as text at the very bottom of the screen.
After verifying the creator of the BIOS on your system, reference the following list and use the appropriate keyboard command to access the BIOS setup utility.
AMI (American Megatrends) - AMIBIOS, AMI BIOS
- Press Del when after powering on the computer.
- Some older motherboards that use AMIBIOS may prompt for the F1 or F2 key instead.
Award Software (now part of Phoenix Technologies) - AwardBIOS, Award BIOS
- Press the Del key to enter the BIOS Setup Utility on nearly all AwardBIOS powered motherboards.
- Some older systems using Award's BIOS software asked for Ctrl+Alt+Esc to enter BIOS.
DTK (Datatech Enterprises) - DTK BIOS
- Press the Esc key to enter BIOS, right after powering on the PC.
Microid Research - MR BIOS
- Press F1 to access the BIOS setup utility.
Phoenix Technologies - Phoenix BIOS, Phoenix-Award BIOS
- Press Del during the Power On Self Test, immediately after the computer starts.
- Many older Phoenix BIOS systems required Ctrl+Alt+Esc, Ctrl+Alt+Ins, or Ctrl+Alt+S to access BIOS.
If you're still having troubles entering BIOS or can't figure out what company supplied the BIOS on your motherboard, here are some keyboard commands you might want to randomly try in addition to the any of the ones listed above:
- Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Del (using Del from the keypad)
- Fn+[any "F" function key] (on some laptops)
The list of BIOS access keyboard commands on this page is a work in progress so any input from you would be very helpful. If you have any BIOS access information for any other BIOS manufacturer or if you find a mistake, please let me know so I can keep this popular listing up to date!