The Bottom Line
I really enjoyed testing the Universal Drive Adapter by NewerTech. It couldn't be easier to use and it worked perfectly. Just plug your hard drive in one end and plug the other end into a USB port. It shows up just like a flash drive would and gives you full access to the drive immediately!
It's perfect for transferring files from old hard drives. If you're a professional support person, this device is a must-have tool in your arsenal.
- Extremely easy to connect any hard drive or optical drive to your PC via USB
- Believe it or not, every single cable you could possible need is included
- Installation is a breeze - just plug everything in and your computer sees the drive
- Isn't a permanent solution for an external drive
- Installation is extremely easy - just plug it all in and you're off.
- NewerTech USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter supports all standard PATA and SATA hard drives.
- While many devices do support standard hard drives, this device also supports optical drives and laptop drives.
- Supports the legacy USB 1.1 standard and the newer USB 2.0 standard allowing for fast transfer rates.
- No drivers necessary - just plug and play!
Guide Review - NewerTech NWTU2NVSPATA
Don't let the lack of fancy-sounding features in the NewerTech USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter (Model NWTU2NVSPATA) fool you. The beauty of this device is its simplicity. It does one thing - perfectly.
The Universal Drive Adapter is great for file transfers after the upgrade of your hard drive, backing up and storing file archives, and accessing data and interfacing with stored backup drives.
Keep in mind that this is not a permanent external drive solution. The NewerTech USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter is designed to be used only when needed since there is no enclosure provided for the hard drive to safely reside.
If reliability is a concern, rest easy because NewerTech tested the Universal Drive Adapter with all major hard drive brands including Maxtor, Seagate, IBM, Hitachi, Samsung, Western Digital, and Fujitsu. They even tested optical drives from LG, Lite-On, Panasonic, Pioneer, Plextor, Sony, Teac, and Toshiba plus removable media drives like the Iomega Zip!
If you have old hard drives around the house (hey, many of us do!) pick up the NewerTech NWTU2NVSPATA and put some life back in them. Who knows what you might find on that 10GB drive you replaced several years ago!