1. Computing
Tim Fisher

IE10 Now Available for Windows 7

By February 26, 2013

Internet Explorer 10 LogoInternet Explorer 10 (IE10), the browser that shipped with Windows 8, is now available for Windows 7. This is a major update for Internet Explorer.

You can read all the details on IE10 here:

IE10 for Windows 7 Globally Available for Consumers and Businesses [MSDN Blog]

If terms like HTML5 and CSS3 just hurt your head, here's a good summary of what to expect with IE10 over IE9:

"As with Windows 8, IE10 on Windows 7 improves performance across the board with faster page loading, faster interactivity, and faster JavaScript performance, while reducing CPU usage and improving battery life on mobile PCs. In measurements in our performance lab, IE loads real world pages up to 20% faster in top sites for news, social, search, ecommerce, and more."

Microsoft will be pushing out the update to IE10 over the next several weeks. However, you can update to IE10 in Windows 7 right now if you download and install it manually:

Download IE10 [32-bit Windows 7]
Download IE10 [64-bit Windows 7]

32-bit and 64-bit non-English versions can be downloaded here.

Not sure which link to use? See How To Tell if You Have Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit for help.

There's little reason not to update. I just updated this morning on my main Windows 7 computer and had no issues whatsoever. I did need to restart my computer after the installation.

Important: You should install any recommended updates in Windows Update before updating to IE10. Even thought you're probably upgrading via one of the manual download links above, the Windows Update system is still used. Previous uninstalled updates or a broken Windows Update system could cause problems when updating to IE10.

Note: Internet Explorer 10 is not available for Windows Vista or Windows XP. In Windows Vista, the latest version of IE is IE9, available here. In Windows XP, it's IE 8, available here.

Related Content:

How To Clear the Cache in IE 10

Connect With Tim: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Comments
February 28, 2013 at 1:39 pm
(1) Torch says:

IE 10 won’t complete installation on my Windows 7 Pro 64bit, just wanted to look at it anyway.
I don’t use IE, I use PaleMoon :)

March 2, 2013 at 10:04 pm
(2) bill says:

tim i need help. i am not able to login to windows 7 as it claims i am using an unknown or incorrect password. i have tried every password that it could possibly be numerous times to no avail. i have tried a couple of free password recovery or reset programs and burned them to cd and flash stick (?) They do not seem to work correctly or maybe i have done something wrong. i believe i have followed every step to the letter. i do not have a windows 7 installation disc and tried to boot from a windows pro disc but it would not list as a boot option in bios. can you help me get into my computer. please help

March 5, 2013 at 3:05 pm
(3) Tim Fisher says:

@bill: Please post this in my forum (http://pcsupport.about.com/forum). Quickly, though: if you can’t get anything to boot, that’s probably the issue. Someone can help out via the forum, though.

March 3, 2013 at 10:17 am
(4) iskandar says:

Tim. Thanks for the last message. IE10 needs SP1 to be installed. I have Windows 7 64bit Home premium in Italian. I have recently formatted my computer and recovered its initial conditions. Below Windows Editions,SPI is absent. I tried the automatic download but did not get SP1 after many attempts and waited more than one month. Now I tried the manual download,but it gave me this list of buttons:

Please, could you help me to recognize which one of these correspond to the SP1 update which I need.
When I tried to download IE10 it tolds me that it needs SP1 present in my computer, moreover I received your last allert about the issue.

Many Many Thanks

March 5, 2013 at 3:07 pm
(5) Tim Fisher says:

@iskandar: The download you need is one near the bottom, labeled windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe.

March 13, 2013 at 11:26 am
(6) Alicia says:

Iskandar,

It looks like you would need this SP1 download for Windows 7 x64:
windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe

I hope this helps.

The “xI64″ is for Itanium based systems. “x32″ is for 32 bit systems.

March 14, 2013 at 1:29 am
(7) vinod james says:

Thanks Tim for this information I just download though windows update its just works fine I am from india some government sites previously not working with IE9. Now I can work with Easy for government sites with IE10.

Many Thanks..!!

March 15, 2013 at 8:06 am
(8) Sean says:

Updated to ie10 on windows update and ie10 won’t even open. I had to roll back to ie9.

March 15, 2013 at 10:52 am
(9) James says:

Same problem as Sean. Upgraded to IE 10 – now it won’t open. It tries to open then says “Internet Explorer has stopped working”. It tries to search for the problem but never finds one. Should I return to restore point and try again later?

March 15, 2013 at 11:04 am
(10) Tim Fisher says:

@James: Yep, I’d do a System Restore and then do sfc /scannow prior to trying again. I’d also apply all other Windows updates prior to the IE10 update.

March 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm
(11) Steve says:

“… Internet Explorer, currently the most popular browser in the world”? When I check the stats at W3C, IE is less than 15% of the market and declining steadily. It’s way behind the most popular browser in the world (Chrome) with over 50%.

March 17, 2013 at 1:19 pm
(12) Tim Fisher says:

@Steve: I goofed. I corrected it in the post. I was working on too many things at once.

Not that it makes my original statement any more true, but using W3C stats skews results towards “techy” browsers like Chrome and Firefox considering the nature of that site. An arguably more accurate usage stat would probably be Wikipedia’s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

March 20, 2013 at 7:31 pm
(13) Dis Appointed says:

Ever since going to ie10, I get
“internet explorer has stopped working”

messages. Even on microsofts own msn news pages.

looks like I need to do a rollback

March 24, 2013 at 6:53 am
(14) soupie says:

Its not working on Windows 7 x64. At least not for me.on YouTube. I just get a “you are using an out of date browser” and then gives a list of browsers to choose from.. including IE10. If I ignore that it gives me a message that I need Adobe Flash, which I have installed already. If I ignore that and push ahead regardless it says it can’t display in this mode and I need to switch to “standard view”… which now, finally, I can actually watch the video.

Trouble is I have to go through all this… every single time. Yes, SP1 is installed. I have no trouble with my other browsers (Firefox, Opera) just IE 10. This at least is an improvement on IE9 where it was impossible to play YouTube under any circumstances at all.

It also managed to completely screw over the fonts on my system, even after uninstalling IE 10 they were still fooked up so I had no alternative but to re-install Windows 7 from scratch. Nice way to spend an evening…not.

So I’m back to IE 8 again. Which works fine, never had any trouble with it..

April 12, 2013 at 10:22 am
(15) carol says:

i have done all windows update and my IE10 still wont open. says can not display page. this is also happening with google chrome, but I can open firefox
any advice please??????

April 12, 2013 at 11:07 am
(16) Tim Fisher says:

@carol: If you’re seeing the same behavior with Google Chrome, then there must be something deeper going on than just an IE10 issue, though it is strange that Firefox works OK. If I were you, I’d check the security settings in both IE and Chrome, also checking to see that there are no proxy settings configured. I’d also do a full system can for malware.

April 16, 2013 at 1:40 pm
(17) Wayne says:

Tried IE10 and Win7, X64 download twice with negative results. Outlook lost Spell Check, MSN lost the ability to scroll through their home page and finally lost my own server. After two Restores, finally came to the conclusion, I’ll stay with IE9.

April 27, 2013 at 6:46 pm
(18) Mick says:

Ever since I updated to IE10, I cant play videos from any websites links including youtube. Have win 7×64, SP1 and it used to work fine on IE9. Those websites open OK but the PLAY arrow never appears. Refresh no help. I am able to play videos from the hard drive, including the AVI sample. Have Flash player, Silverlight and Chrome add-ons installed.

May 13, 2013 at 9:55 am
(19) Patrick says:

Since the enforced IE 10 update last week I can’t download files anymore from sites that worked fine on IE 8 and still work fine on Chrome. I have to access a lot of CSV based reports for my business but IE 10 doesn’t even given an error message.

May 27, 2013 at 5:44 am
(20) Mel says:

I have tried IE 10, but sadly reverted back to IE 8. I am 50 yrs old, I generally use more than one tab when using the internet, i.e selecting a new page via the CTRL button to open up in a new tab. However I soon realised in IE10 I could hardly read the text on all but the current tab I was in, the other tabs appear to be shaded out too much. My eye sight isnt that bad and the laptops brightness and contrast settings are fine for evertything else this isn’t an issue for me in IE8 on my laptop. I find IE8 just as good and clearer to read,

July 4, 2013 at 2:33 pm
(21) steve says:

This IE10 sucks. Everytime my computer does a update I cannot use IE. I can use the firefox browser though. if I wanna use IE I have to do a system restore.

July 19, 2013 at 3:30 pm
(22) patrick ahern says:

When I open IE10 on my win 7 computer, I get some video program called “vube” running in the background. Don’t know where this came from; no way to get rid of it. It is a garbage program, with no way to dump it. It is outrageously annoying, asking me to vote for some stupid music video.
Not listed in add-ons. Must be included surreptiously with some upgrade I have installed, eg Adobe upgrades are so frequent.

Please tell me how to rid myself of this terrible invasion.

August 9, 2013 at 12:37 pm
(23) Tim Fisher says:

@patrick ahern: I’d try something like Malwarebytes.