1. Computing
Tim Fisher

The Price of Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Goes From $40 to $200 on February 1

By January 25, 2013

Microsoft Windows 8 Pro BoxshotHeads up: Windows 8 is about to get really expensive.

You've probably seen me regularly mention that an upgrade-licensed copy of Windows 8 Pro can be had for pretty cheap. This fantastic promotion has been going on since the first day Windows 8 was released, back in October. Unfortunately, it's about to end.

Here are the details:

"What exactly is the promotion?"

Right now, a copy of Windows 8 Pro Upgrade can be purchased for $39.99 USD. This license requires that you already have a copy of Windows installed, anything from Windows XP through Windows 8.

This price is only available if you download Windows 8. Once you download it, you can do an in-place upgrade or a clean install. It's also possible to get the download onto a disc or flash drive that you can then boot from.

See How To Clean Install Windows 8 Upgrade for help.

You might also want to read through my Installing Windows 8 FAQ article for answers to some more questions you might have about that process.

"When does the promotion end?"

The last day you'll be able to buy Windows 8 Pro Upgrade for $39.99 is Thursday, January 31st. I'd guess it'll run up to near midnight Pacific Time that evening but I don't know for sure.

How much will Windows 8 cost after the promotion ends?

Here are the estimated retail prices in USD of Windows 8 as of February 1:

Windows 8 Pro Upgrade: $199.99 (I know, big jump, hu?)
Windows 8 Upgrade: $119.99
Windows 8 Pro Pack: $99.99 (upgrades a copy of Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro)

"Can I buy Windows 8 Pro Upgrade for $39.99 before the promotion ends but choose to install and activate it after the promotion ends?"

I had this same question so I asked a Microsoft representative, who told me (I'm paraphrasing):

Yes, buy it now while it's cheap and then install and activate it later, at your convenience.

In other words, you can download Windows 8 before February 1st for $39.99 and sit on it for as long as you need to. If you know you'll want to upgrade at some point in the future, buy it now but install it later, saving you $160.

----

Here are the "end of the promotion" details directly from Microsoft: Update on Windows 8 Pricing [Windows Blog]

Have you upgraded to Windows 8 yet? Are you still planning to prior to the end of this promotion? Let me know in the comments!

Related Content:

Windows 8 Pro Boxshot Image Microsoft

Connect With Tim: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Comments
January 26, 2013 at 1:31 pm
(1) Eddie says:

Tim, you do provide very useful and latest info on developments.

January 27, 2013 at 12:03 pm
(2) Tim Fisher says:

@Eddie: Thanks Eddie!

January 27, 2013 at 9:34 am
(3) drew says:

Having just checked the MS website, I thought it a bit rude that they are charging $39,99 AUD for the same product to Australian purchasers..

January 27, 2013 at 12:04 pm
(4) Tim Fisher says:

@drew: Yea, that doesn’t seem right but AUD/USD isn’t that different right now. You’re paying about $1.65 USD more for it.

January 27, 2013 at 10:31 am
(5) Harry says:

Followed your link ‘where to purchase ..’ this gave me the upgrade assistant. After running this it gave me the option to buy, which I did. After downloading for almost 5 hours (1MB line), what I got is not an ISO file as expected, but just an icon on the desktop ‘install windows’. Clicking on this I just get the choices ‘install now’ or ‘install later’.
No possibility for a clean install (or a re-install later).
Very disappointed and sorry to have followed your advice, I seem to have wasted my money.

January 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm
(6) Tim Fisher says:

@Harry: It seems your problem is due to you actually not following my advice. See this: How To Clean Install Windows 8 Pro Upgrade, which I linked to in my blog post.

January 28, 2013 at 9:37 am
(7) Skip Royeton says:

I purchased and downloaded W8 from the Micro$oft website. I followed the instructions for installing and W8 destroyed my computer! I then had it professionally installed. None of my external drives worked anymore! Now, I am getting no audio. Dell installed a new M.B., RAM and CPU, still no audio. I installed a PCIe audio card, still no audio. I contend that W8 is the worst POS foistered on the buying public by Micro$oft to date. I have installed all the drivers in an attempt to get this POS working, to no avail. BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE. Give me my W7 back, at least it worked!

January 28, 2013 at 11:07 am
(8) Tim Fisher says:

@Skip Royeton: That’s certainly not the experience most people are having. My guess is that something goofed, probably driver related, when you upgraded and the help you got from Dell was inadequate, at best. However, if you’re convinced it’s Windows 8 and only Windows 8 causing the problem, why not just put Windows 7 back on?

February 25, 2013 at 7:23 pm
(9) Andrew says:

I decided that it was time to install Windows 8 and then I saw this… 200$ for an upgrade is way too much. Even 120$ is way too much. I will just stick with win7 which is perfectly fine.

May 17, 2013 at 11:13 am
(10) Walker says:

I have to agree with Andrew.

I figured I’d upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 8 Pro but then I saw the price. Sheesh. For the very few benefits, it’s just not worth it. I guess I have to wait until the next version of Windows hits the shelves and grab it while it’s discounted.

I struggle to understand how this pricing bracket makes sense.

July 22, 2013 at 12:02 pm
(11) Tresa M Witte says:

I paid my tech support service for the upgrade who said with the upgrade I would have security protection with it and would not have to to renew/buy McAfee protection again. Didn’t quite understand that??? Is it part of the upgrade who??

July 22, 2013 at 1:07 pm
(12) Tim Fisher says:

@Tresa M Whitte: Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free antivirus program that comes with Windows 8, but is also available for download for Windows 7 & Vista. I use it on my Windows 7 computers and it works great. You can always decide that you like McAfee better and disable MSE in Windows 8 and install and pay for McAfee, but MSE works really well and is completely free.

March 15, 2014 at 11:32 pm
(13) Bart Ashton says:

I think that I would buy Windows 8 for that cheap, since it has many improved and great features. Unfortunately, $100 or more is too much for me. It’s not worth it and I’m planning to upgrade my existing PC’s memory.