1. Computing
Tim Fisher

What To Do: Windows 8 Pro, Standard, RT, Upgrade, System Builder, 32-bit, 64-bit, ...

By October 28, 2012

Microsoft Windows 8 Pro BoxshotNow that Windows 8 is out, you may be asking yourself all sorts of questions about what to buy, assuming you've decided to. Questions like...

"Do I get Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro?"
"Now I'm seeing Windows 8 RT - what's that?"
"Do I get an Upgrade version?"
"What's the non-upgrade version called?"
"Why is one copy of Windows 8 Pro so much more expensive than another I'm seeing?"
"Do I get a 32-bit or 64-bit version?"

Between my Windows 8: Important Facts and my Installing Windows 8 FAQ pages, I think I answer most of those questions. However, I thought at least a blog post was in order to bring it all together and help you make sense of the Microsoft Madness!

So here goes:

Windows 8 Pro vs Windows 8 vs Windows 8 RT

Windows 8 Pro is the highest Windows 8 tier. Over the non-Pro version, you get access to Remote Desktop (the server end), the ability to participate in a domain, and some other back-end, geeky stuff. Nothing most home users are going to notice. You're also "able" to purchase Windows Media Center only if you have Windows 8 Pro so go with Pro if you're planning on that.

If you're familiar with Windows 7, I liken Windows 8 Pro to Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Professional.

Windows 8 (without the "Pro") is sometimes called the core or standard version of Windows 8. The only things it lacks were the things I mentioned above that come with Windows 8 Pro.

Until February 1, 2013, Windows 8 Pro is the only thing you can buy. From now until then, the only place you'll find Windows 8 (standard/core) is on a new computer where it was preinstalled in the factory.

Windows 8 RT is also only available preinstalled, and that goes from now until the end of time. Probably. This version of Windows 8 is designed only for devices that use ARM processors - mainly small tablet devices (think: iPad size).

Summary: You can only buy Windows 8 Pro right now, and that's just fine and dandy: $40 is a really good deal for an entire version of Windows. Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT are only available on new computers.

Upgrade vs "Non-Upgrade"

An upgrade version of Windows 8 (standard) and Windows 8 Pro is called just that - an "Upgrade." You need a previous version of Windows installed if you want to buy this version. Yes, you can do a clean install from a Windows 8 upgrade, in case you were wondering. Yes, that $40 deal from Microsoft, and most similarly priced Windows 8 deals you see in the store, are all Upgrade licensed.

The "full" version of Windows 8 is referred to as a Personal Use License for System Builder version. You don't need to already have an older version of Windows to install Windows 8 with this license. This is the choice for new computer builds, new virtual machine installations, etc. This license will cost you more.

You may have also seen something called a Windows 8 Pro Pack. This is simply a new product key that you can enter on your Windows 8 (standard) computer that upgrades your version of Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro. Don't buy this unless you have a new computer with Windows 8 preinstalled and you've decided that you want the bells and whistles that come with the Pro version.

Summary: Go with the "Upgrade" license of Windows 8 if you already have Windows 7, Vista, or XP, even if you want to clean install. Go with the "System Builder" license if you're building a new PC or virtual machine.

32-bit vs 64-bit

Ideally, you would install a 64-bit version of Windows 8 no matter what. You get better performance, support for more RAM, and some other benefits. However, some computers don't have 64-bit hardware and thus can't run a 64-bit operating system or software.

When you download Windows 8 Pro Upgrade from Microsoft, you'll get the 64-bit version if it's compatible with your computer. If not, you'll get the 32-bit download. If you purchase a Windows 8 Pro Upgrade from a retail store or online, you can choose which you'd like to install once you get it home.

System Builder versions of Windows 8 are packaged separately so you'll need to decide on 32-bit vs 64-bit prior to your purchase.

If you're not sure if you have a 64-bit computer (the prerequisite for installing a 64-bit version of Windows 8), you can check from the System applet in Control Panel in whatever version of Windows you have right now.

Summary: If your computer supports a 64-bit version of Windows 8, install that. If it doesn't, install the 32-bit version. It's not the end of the world if you need to install a 32-bit version of Windows 8.

Hopefully the explanations above help a little. Do you have any more questions? Ask away in the comments!

Windows 8 Pro Boxshot Image Microsoft

Connect With Tim: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Comments
October 29, 2012 at 2:48 am
(1) vslingam says:

My PC has an Intel E5500 Dual Core processor that supports 64-bit processing. However, my existing Win 7 Home Premium OS is a 32-bit app. What will I get when I download Win 8 Pro Upgrade – the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the OS? Thank you.

October 29, 2012 at 9:11 am
(2) Tim Fisher says:

@vslingam: VERY good question! I haven’t tested this myself, but I do know that the tool Microsoft uses to determine which Windows 8 architecture to give you bases that determination on computer hardware tests – not whatever you happen to have installed at the moment. So, as long as the hardware is 64-bit, I’m pretty confident that that’s what you’ll be downloading.

October 31, 2012 at 11:10 am
(3) Tim Fisher says:

@vslingam: I have some updated information on your 32-bit/64-bit issue. Microsoft says this:

Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8?

Yes, but you can’t do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8, but you’ll need to buy Windows 8 as a DVD. You also won’t be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.

So it looks like I was wrong. You’ll have to purchase Windows 8 Pro Upgrade on a DVD. The download won’t do it. Sorry I didn’t see this sooner!

October 30, 2012 at 9:52 am
(4) Astalavista says:

Hello, I am using the release preview version of windows 8, and I don’t have any license key for the previous version of windows. Can I still make use of the upgrade offer? Thanks.

October 31, 2012 at 11:12 am
(5) Tim Fisher says:

@Astalavista: The rules say that you must have Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP to be eligible for the upgrade price.

October 31, 2012 at 8:14 am
(6) Simon says:

A few questions…

1- Is a clean install and a wipeout of the drive the same thing?

2- If so, call me slow here (…) but after reading your (VERY good and clear) clean install Win8 guide, and reading this one here, I still don’t understand why you would need an old version of Windows to install the Win8Pro upgrade If all you need is the new “attached” product key number that comes with the upgraded Win8Pro… How does Microsoft knows wether I had an earlier version of Windows (or not) once my drive is completely wiped out, If all I need is the new product key that comes with the new Win8Pro anyway?

3- If I want to “bootcamp” my Mac, is that what you call a virtual machine thus I’ll need a Win8 system builder?

4- Finally, my somewhat old HP desktop has now Windows7 (FULL) on It that I bought and installed myself but came with an OEM Vista that I still have also available If needed. If I want to keep my full version of Win7 (to perhaps use to bootcamp my Mac instead of buying two Win8), do I need to clean install Vista back to my desktop and then install Win8Pro or can I just clean install from Win7 then install Win8Pro and my product key for my paid Win7Full will still be good and safe for another PC (or Mac)? (I guess my point #2 is mostly why I am confused with this one).

Kudos to you Sir If you’re able to sort out what I am trying to say here… Cuz even I aren’t so sure anymore!

Thanks in advance!

October 31, 2012 at 11:19 am
(7) Tim Fisher says:

@Simon:

1- Yes, if you mean “wipeout” as “basic erase”. If you mean “wipeout” as in “wipe”, referring to a zeroing out of the drive, then no. But I’m getting technical now. Yes, a clean install means to format the drive that the current OS is installed on as part of the Windows 8 installation process.

2- The need for the older version of Windows is licensing related, not a technical need. The product key that comes with Windows 8 Upgrade is just that – licensed for an upgrade from an older version of Windows. That’s why it’s cheaper – you’re getting a deal because you’re a previous Windows owner. Microsoft “knows” (the Windows 8 setup process “knows”) because you enter the product key as one of the first steps, then you erase the drive as part of the clean install a few steps later. Something is flagged, saying “The entered product key was for an upgrade and sure enough, I saw an old version of Windows on there before the user wiped it out.”

3- Yes, correct.

4- The OEM Vista is only licensed for that computer. So what I’d do (assuming you want Windows 8 on the most computers for the least price) is to install Vista on the computer it came on and then use an Upgrade licensed Windows 8 Pro there. On the virtual machine, I’d install your retail copy of Windows 7 (no problems doing that from a blank drive since it’s retail) and then use a second Upgrade licensed Windows 8 Pro there.

I was a bit confused on what you’re asking with #4 so if you need some clarification, please ask.

November 1, 2012 at 1:29 am
(8) Simon says:

@Tim,

First, thank you VERY much for your detailed and precise reply to my inquiries. You actually completely understood my various points.

I meant wipe out as your latter explanation, completely zeroing the drive. I have a program for that and since I haven’t done It in a few years, I thought I could just wipe out the drive and install Win8Pro directly and enter both product keys (WinVista first, then Win8Pro) and be done in only 2 steps.

Looks now I’ll have to wipe out the drive, install Vista and then install Win8Pro. Oh well. Regarding that, I think I have the very first Vista version. Do I have to do all the updates after installing It, like SP1 and SP2 or just skip any updates after the basic install and just go on with Win8Pro already?

One last question, If you don’t mind, Is buying the 39.99$ download deal and either burn It, ISO or flash drive, is REALLY the same as the actual 69.99$ DVD?

I am asking here because with my original Vista HP desktop, once I got It I created the recovery discs as told to and when I got viruses and problems with the desktop later on, used those for reinstallation, yet using those “home made on a brand new desktop” recovery discs only formatted the drive for about 30 seconds and did the installation afterwards. Once the installation was done and over though, my desktop still remembered my passwords. I did the reinstallation at least 3 times and still the desktop remembered. Very odd. I called HP and after complaining a bit they send me “official” OEM HP Vista recovery discs. Using those, the formatting took a good 20 minutes instead of 30 seconds and once the installation was done, everything was clean and perfect. Nothing remembered this time.

Again, thank you very much for the reply AND the various guides you wrote here. I really love your precise and concise style (both things I am not obviously!) and your 1-2-3 way of explaining everything for the newbies and neophytes. It is incredibly helpful Sir.

Bravo to you!

November 2, 2012 at 7:00 pm
(9) Pete says:

Hi Tim
Just a quick question related to bootcamp on my mac – I know you’ve said above you need the system builder version but what if (as in my case) you already have a windows partition running XP? Does this not qualify as an upgrade?
Cheers

November 2, 2012 at 10:10 pm
(10) Tim Fisher says:

@Pete: You’ll be fine. Microsoft doesn’t care where you’re installing the upgrade (an SSD, a traditional hard drive, a virtual drive, a holographic crystal…), you just need to have an upgradable version of Windows installed.

November 3, 2012 at 4:32 am
(11) Pete says:

@Tim
Many thanks for that – I’ve been trawling the web all week for an answer! This is probably a very basic question but do I upgrade from the windows boot up or go into the Mac OS and do a clean install from bootcamp there I.e. start a fresh and create a new partition?
Many thanks in advance.

November 3, 2012 at 3:24 pm
(12) Bob Sarley says:

Unless I mi-read what you say about the upgrade is not entirely true. You can partician your drive and do a clean install so you get a complete dual boot. Windows 7 and Windows 8. All you need is a 20 gig partician and you have both. No need to wipe out for a clean install. I default to 7.

November 9, 2012 at 12:06 pm
(13) Tim Fisher says:

@Bob Sarley: Of course you can dual boot. My discussion also has to do with licensing – what you’re ALLOWED to do, not what you can TECHNICALLY do. And I’m not completely sure if you really could do what you’re saying using an upgrade license. You certainly could with a full license (System Builder/OEM). Technically the installation portion would work out fine, but I wonder what would happen when you tried to activate.

November 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm
(14) Pete says:

This is becoming somewhat of a nightmare – I went to install the 64bit disc of windows 8 on the windows partition but it said I couldn’t do it as the version of XP I was running was only 32 bit. What to do? I thought. Okay I’ll install the 32bit disc and see if I can ‘upgrade’ to 64bit afterwards.

The 32 bit version loaded without any problems but then going into settings and trying to go from choosing ‘remove everything and reinstall windows’ option, it won’t even recognise the 64 bit disc! Microsoft have made it quite clear if you buy the DVD retail upgrade you can upgrade to 64 bit but this simply doesn’t seem to be the case.

I really need to be running 64 bit so any help would be appreciated before I tear out what little hair I have left! I’ve been trying to find a way of emailing Microsoft but it appears I can’t even do that.

Many thanks

November 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm
(15) Tim Fisher says:

@Pete: You can not do an in-place upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit, but you can do a clean install (which MS refers to as a “custom” install). That’s pretty clear here:

Yes, but you can’t do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro, but you’ll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a custom installation. If available in your country or region, you can buy Windows 8 Pro from a participating retail store.

Did that make sense? So you’re fine, but you’ll need to clean install it.

November 12, 2012 at 4:55 pm
(16) Pete says:

@Tim: That makes sense but there doesn’t seem to be any way of doing the custom/clean install – I can’t seem to find any instructions on how to perform this? The only way I thought was to delete the windows partition from the bootcamp assistant and reinstall from there? Any ideas? Thanks again!

November 12, 2012 at 5:10 pm
(17) Tim Fisher says:

@Pete: You delete the partition during the Windows 8 install. I outline the whole clean install process here. So in bootcamp, boot from the virtual cd/dvd drive (which is, in reality, the Windows 8 ISO image), and follow the tutorial.

Feel free to keep up the Q&A, especially if I’m confused about what you’re asking. It happens. ;)

November 12, 2012 at 6:53 pm
(18) nelson agudelo says:

there does not seem to be a password recovery for the windows 8 RT program. Im using the ASUS tablet and although I know I have the correct pswrd, it keeps asking for the last pass word used in that system.
It does not provide any means to recover it from the initial page.
Any thoughts?

November 14, 2012 at 11:36 am
(19) Tim Fisher says:

@nelson agudelo: Did you log in to your ASUS the first time with a Microsoft Account or did you choose to just use a local account on the computer? (or do you know?)

November 12, 2012 at 10:01 pm
(20) Thomas says:

On my personal computer, I inserted Windows 8 System Builder disc and ran through entire installation process for a leave nothing behind install. At the end, it reboots and sends me through the entire install process again.

To avoid this endless loop I tried removing the disc just before the reboot but then I got a message saying that my PC needs repair because the “digital signature of winload.exe cannot be verified”.

Is some repair required?

November 14, 2012 at 11:37 am
(21) Tim Fisher says:

@Thomas: that seems strange. In BIOS, what does your boot order look like? As long as the CD/DVD drive is listed first and the hard drive listed second, you shouldn’t have to remove anything. It’ll skip the disc if you don’t force it to boot. Check that and try again.

November 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm
(22) Mark says:

Hi Tim, I would like to ask about licence policy if you have Genuine WinVista / 7 Retail version, and purchase an upgrade download to Windows8 Pro.
Can you do things like change motherboard/cpu ?
ie Does the upgrade nullify the rights you had with original purchase?

November 14, 2012 at 11:39 am
(23) Tim Fisher says:

@Mark: The Windows 8 Pro Upgrade will let you change the motherboard, CPU, or even whole computer, so long as you follow the upgrade installation rules (previous version of Windows first, then Windows 8). I talk about this a bit in my Windows 8 Install FAQ piece. It’s the 8th question (as of right now… I’ve been adding them a lot lately).

December 2, 2012 at 1:04 pm
(24) Inga Hill says:

Hi, with tablets such as the microsoft surface rt, or anything that runs an rt version of windows 8 is it possible to then upgrade it to the pro version? Thanks

December 11, 2012 at 11:43 am
(25) Tim Fisher says:

@Inga Hill: No, there’s no upgrade path between Windows RT and Windows 8.

December 12, 2012 at 1:49 pm
(26) Mike Wils says:

I currently have a computer that has dual boot , XP Pro 32 bit and XP Pro 64 Bit. Can I upgrade the 64 bit version to Windows 8 64 bit. If so, how would I go about it. Both versions I have are OEM, in case that matters.

December 14, 2012 at 11:53 am
(27) Tim Fisher says:

@Mike Wils: You certainly can. The easiest way would be to do an “in place upgrade” meaning a “true” upgrade where what’s possible to keep will be kept. Just boot to Windows XP Pro 64-bit and start the upgrade from the downloaded file or from the CD or flash drive you made during the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade purchase process.

If you want to do a clean install with the upgrade version of Windows 8 Pro, just remove the proper partition (the one that XP Pro 64-bit) is installed on and create it again as per my clean install tutorial.

A suggestion: If you haven’t yet purchased Windows 8, be sure you do so when logged in to the XP 64-bit OS. The download you get (32-bit vs 64-bit) is based on the OS you run the little program from Microsoft on, not the maximum capability of your computer.

December 12, 2012 at 4:58 pm
(28) Jake C. says:

i just bought windows 8 system builder, but how do i partition my hard drive on a mac book pro and install it?

December 14, 2012 at 11:54 am
(29) Tim Fisher says:

@Jake C.: You’ll need to use Parallels on your Mac if you want to use Windows 8. Plenty of tutorials out there for that.

December 14, 2012 at 8:41 am
(30) Mihir says:

I have a Windows Vista 32-bit version and I want to upgrade to the Widows 8 Pro 64 bit. I have checked my system Hardware and my Computer is 64-bit compatible. So after reading various tech-support articles on similar issues i bought the Retail CD of Windows 8 Pro which contains both the versions i.e. 32 & 64. A problem still occurs when i try to install the 64-bit version through the CD. It says the version is not compatible. I want to install the 64 bit version. Please help!

December 14, 2012 at 11:56 am
(31) Tim Fisher says:

@Mihir: You did the right thing buying Windows 8 Pro Upgrade as a retail purchase. Good research there. What’s the exact message and when/where do you see it during the installation process?

December 23, 2012 at 10:36 am
(32) Mike says:

i have a 32bit windows 8 OS on my desktop and i have used the product key for this. Little did i know that my PC was actually 64bit. i have a Backup and restore disks i got from Microsoft with the purchase and i want to use the 64bit one to change it. Does this mean i also need a new 50′s worth key?

January 11, 2013 at 4:33 pm
(33) Tim Fisher says:

@Mike: Did Windows 8 come on a new computer or did you buy a retail copy of Windows 8 that included both 32-bit and 64-bit discs?

January 6, 2013 at 5:59 pm
(34) Melissa says:

I erased my hard drive completely and purchased Windows 8 to install on it. I keep getting an error message telling me it can only be used for upgrading not clean installations. What do I need to do to make it work?

January 11, 2013 at 4:35 pm
(35) Tim Fisher says:

@Melissa: If you purchased a Windows 8 Pro Upgrade disc, then that’s correct: you need to have a previous version of Windows on the computer. It is possible to erase everything and install Windows 8 with an upgrade license but you have to do the erasing during the installation process, not before.

To get out of the bind you’re in, you can stick the Windows 8 Upgrade disc/flash drive you used to install it in the computer and do an upgrade. Yes, from Windows 8 to Windows 8. That’ll work.

January 9, 2013 at 11:55 am
(36) Emma says:

Hi Tim, I live in France and have just bought a laptop which has a French operating system and has windows 8 already installed. The man in the shop said if I buy the Windows 8 Professional that I could change the operating system to English. I am not sure now what I should do. I tried installing it but nothing changed it did not ask for the product key. Please could you tell me what I should do. I think the DVD I bought was the windows 8 pro upgrade.

Thanks

January 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm
(37) Tim Fisher says:

@Emma: What’s the make & model of the computer?

January 22, 2013 at 2:43 pm
(38) Kishor says:

Hi,Tim. Wonderful articles on Windows 8. I have a basic question. If I buy a Windows 7 Home Basic edition before 31st January 2013,install it on a blank hard disk,will I be eligible for a Windows 8 Pro upgrade offer? Will it be technically and licencing-wise possible for me to upgtade to Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 Home Basic if I install it now on a blank hard disk? Thanks.

January 28, 2013 at 11:11 am
(39) Tim Fisher says:

@Kishor: The only way to install it (and have it successfully activate afterwards) is to install it over an existing copy of Windows, either in a “clean” install or “upgrade” install fashion. But regardless, there must be an existing version of Windows you’re upgrading from or wiping out. So, no, you can’t install it on a blank hard disk.

However, it sounds like you’re just wanting to get your hands on this before the promotion, which is a good idea. You don’t actually have to install and activate Windows 8 prior to Jan 31st… all you need to do is download the Windows 8 installation files (or ISO image). Just keep that safe somewhere and install when you want. In reality, what you’re doing is buying a really cheap product key. You’ll get that via email. Keep it safe too. If you have the ISO image and the product key in hand, then you wait as long as you need to do the actual installation. Remember though, it is an “upgrade” license, meaning you’ll need to be replacing an existing version of Windows.

January 27, 2013 at 7:27 pm
(40) Jon M says:

Hi Tim,

I have Vista Home Premium 64-bit, OEM and have bought the $40/25 Windows 8 Pro Upgrade version. I am changing my Motherboard, CPU and RAM. I understand the OEM version of Vista will be tied to the original Motherboard.

The questions are: will I be able to reinstall Vista on the new PC build and then use the Windows 8 upgrade?
Would I need to activate the copy of Vista at all on the new PC?

If I used the Win 8 Pro Upgrade then wouldn’t the activation be for the new (W8) Product key? Wouldn’t the new Windows 8 ToS supersede the ones for the Vista OEM?

Thanks for your reply.
Jon

January 28, 2013 at 11:12 am
(41) Tim Fisher says:

@Jon M: Your key question there is: “Would I need to activate the copy of Vista at all on the new PC?” – the answer, luckily, is NO. I have confirmed this myself, as have several readers who emailed me directly. So yes, the new Windows 8 ToS would supersede the one for the Vista OEM.

January 28, 2013 at 12:37 pm
(42) Jon M says:

Thanks Tim, that’s great news.

Would I need to install Vista on the new build at all, or just do a Custom Install of Windows 8 (upgrade) onto a new SSD?

January 28, 2013 at 12:49 pm
(43) Tim Fisher says:

@Jon M: “Technically” you would need to install Vista (no need to activate, use Windows Update, install any drivers, etc.) on the SSD and then install Windows 8, via the standard “upgrade” process or a “clean install” (as described here) so long as you remove the Vista partition during the clean install and not beforehand.

Now, I did highlight “technically” because there are some workarounds that Microsoft might not be that keen on that allow you to activate an upgrade-licensed copy of Windows 8 that you installed on a new drive. You’ll have to do your own Googling for that but it’s possible.

January 28, 2013 at 1:56 pm
(44) Jon M says:

Thanks again Tim. I think I know the ones you’re talking about!

February 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm
(45) Rob says:

From my experience:
To Do a 64 bit install on a system with 32 bit Windows, purchase the DVD and Install from the DVD.
You will get a message ‘Install cannot continue”
To get around it you need to hit the Space bar so that the system boots from the DVD then Select Custom Install.
If you want to Format you can select the option in Advanced.
I did the above steps, however, I was experiencing Display issues.
Black screens, lighted pixels where the logo should be, endless reboots, automatic repairs, etc.
Was on Chat and Phone with MS Support – first level, second level. They are not technical enough do not know the install sequence, reboot sequence. Suggested I update my BIOS. I always had the latest drivers as my setting was for HP to automatically update drives, etc.
I managed to get one install done in Safe Mode completed personalization, system restore point, recovery disk. After reboot everything goes back to black screen, distorted image, endless loops of automatic repair.
Chatted with NVidia – as this was the only drivers that Upgrade Assistant noted will have to be re-installed.
Tested the 32 bit install on the same machine. Installs like a breeze and running stable. However, my purpose in purchasing the DVD was to be able to install the 64 bit.

Taking another crack at it – trying to build the sequence of the installs, logs, reboots to put all things in perspective and figure it out.
Has this been mapped out anywhere?

February 12, 2013 at 10:54 am
(46) Tim Fisher says:

@Rob: I haven’t seen that level of installation detailed. Sticking with Occam’s razor here, did you make sure that the system is fully 64-bit before doing the installation? What’s the computer or motherboard make/model?

February 13, 2013 at 8:27 am
(47) P L Rao says:

Hi,
I am using LENOVO YOGA11 Which comes with WIN8 RT, and having NVIDIA TEGRA3 processor. Can i install WIN8 PRO on that system. bcz WIN8 RT is a totally unusable OS i ever seen. it can’t support even mozilla and chrome browser also. is there any substitution or tricks to work that system with WIN8 PRO

February 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm
(48) Tim Fisher says:

@P L Rao: No, you can not install Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro. Windows 8 RT is on that PC because it uses ARM chips, not standard x86 or x64 chips like those from Intel and AMD.

February 13, 2013 at 3:45 pm
(49) SKL says:

I have Windows 8 basic. I have the DVDs that came with the notebook.
I want to upgrade to W8 Pro. How can I do this?

Regards, s

February 21, 2013 at 12:16 pm
(50) Tim Fisher says:

@SKL: You can do that from the “Add Features to Windows 8″ applet in Control Panel. I have a little on it here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/tp/control-panel-applets-list.htm

March 27, 2013 at 8:19 pm
(51) Urie says:

I have a windows 7 gaming netbook that is a CQ Mini 150CA. I’ve yet to upgrade its memory to 2 or 3 GB. Is Windows 8 right for it?

April 9, 2013 at 9:51 am
(52) Tim Fisher says:

@Urie: I wouldn’t upgrade. That laptop is non-touch and I’m assuming maxes out at 3GB? Regardless – Windows 7 is probably the right OS for that computer. I’m not upgrading my main machine. My Windows 7 tablet? It’s fantastic.

June 3, 2013 at 1:33 am
(53) david sugay says:

my boss’ computer is currently windows 7 professional but I’m not sure if it is original and asking for a product key. I tried to buy windows 8 product key but they told me at the store that my current windows should be original. does the windows 8 product key doesn’t really work just in case that your current windows is not original?

June 17, 2013 at 12:02 pm
(54) Tim Fisher says:

@david sugay: My understanding is that it will still work. I haven’t tried it, but that’s what I hear.

September 24, 2013 at 6:34 pm
(55) Kyle Hayes says:

Does anyone know what Windows 8 Professional “System Builder” is?

Why not just Windows 8 Professional?

October 7, 2013 at 12:17 pm
(56) Tim Fisher says:

@Kyle Hayes: It’s a licensing thing. That’s all. It’s the same as the other Windows 8 Pro. This confusion is ending with Windows 8.1. After the 8.1 update comes out, the only editions of Windows 8 you can buy will be ones with the 8.1 update already applied from the get-go and they’ve removed the SB license and the “upgrade” licenses. You just buy 8.1 or 8.1 Pro and use it. That’s it.

March 30, 2014 at 10:03 am
(57) DK says:

When installing win 8 pro upgrade DVD, the instructions said “Choose 32 or 64 bit. If you are not sure start with 32. We will let you know if you should switch. It did not let me know and now i have ended up with 32 bit OS x64 based processor. Is it possible to reinstall using the 64 bit disc?
I have Acer Aspire 6930-6555 with 4 GB ram.