1. Computing
Tim Fisher

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Available for Download

By February 22, 2011

Just as promised, Windows 7 SP1 is now available for download:

Download Windows 7 SP1 from Microsoft Download Center

I won't bore you with the details you've already read about this less-than-exciting SP1 but I will say that you should install it as you're prompted in Windows Update.

If you're so inclined, feel free to download it manually via the link above. If you do that, you should know:

1. You will need to validate your copy of Windows before you can download it.
  2. You really, really should read Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center from Microsoft before you install SP1.

To those of you who've taken the plunge already, are you having any problems downloading the 1/2 or 1 GB file (depending on your version of Windows 7)? Did SP1 fix, or cause, any problems you were having?

Related Content

Connect With Tim: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Comments
February 22, 2011 at 7:13 pm
(1) Jim says:

I can’t get it to download with automatic windows update. It just seems to hang. Some other problems popped up saying IE 8 had quit working, but I’m using IE9 RC.

February 22, 2011 at 8:30 pm
(2) Tim Fisher says:

@Jim: As long as the installation hasn’t started (it sounds like you’re saying the download is hanging), restart your computer and make sure all previous updates are installed. Then try again. That will reduce the size of the download.

I just finished installing Windows 7 SP1 on the 3rd machine without issue – all were via Windows Update.

February 24, 2011 at 8:42 am
(3) Alan says:

Audio was disabled after the Windows Update for a few annoying minutes, until I happened to try assigning a sound file to an event in Control Panel > Sound > Sounds tab. Since I normally use the No Sounds scheme, there were no sounds assigned to any events. I assigned the chimes.wav to the Asterisk event, clicked Test and heard the chimes, then set it back to None afterwards. That turned my audio on, and my music and videos sound just fine now. Don’t know why that helped, but it did. Nothing major broken that I can see so far.

February 24, 2011 at 9:40 am
(4) Tim Fisher says:

@Alan: Thanks for the info. I haven’t seen this yet so it’s probably just an issue with your specific configuration. Hopefully it’ll help someone else if they see the same thing.

February 24, 2011 at 3:13 pm
(5) Eric79 says:

I have the same problem, my netbook took the update no issues, but my laptop just hangs. It says it’s downloading but nothing downloads. I have all the previous updates installed.

I even tried a system restore to a month ago. Then I re-downloaded all the fixes. It downloaded all the fixes EXCEPT SP1.

I don’t know why it won’t download from the automatic windows update.

February 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm
(6) Tim Fisher says:

@Eric79: Yea, it’s weird. I’m hearing now that there are some issues but maybe that isn’t what you’re seeing.

I finally did have a problem with one PC that a day’s wait fixed. It was hanging during the download – maybe it was just an overwhelmed server.

February 25, 2011 at 9:55 pm
(7) Alan says:

Win7 SP1 loaded without difficulty. However, I was hoping it would overcome the problem of the computer taking a long time to come out of a sleep state or when the screen saver has been on. This is a known problem with the 64-bit version if you have hard drives over 1TB in size. I have a 64-bit system and just such a drive. Any thoughts on how to address this? SP1 did not correct the issue.

February 26, 2011 at 5:21 pm
(8) Tim Fisher says:

@Alan: There are some discussions here that seem somewhat related to your problem. You might want to read through them.

But otherwise, no, I’m not surprised that didn’t fix the problem. Windows 7 SP1 is mostly (more than a typical service pack) a collection of previously available fixes and security updates. If you want to explore it deeper, here’s everything about Windows 7 SP1 you might want to know.

February 26, 2011 at 8:20 pm
(9) Curtis says:

My x64 system couldn’t do the update from Automatic Updates, so I downloaded and ran the “Windows Update Readiness Tool”. But instead of risking another Auto Update failure, I downloaded the full SP1 version and installed from that. Works OK, but I haven’t had time to wring it out. BTW, I also downloaded the fully full DVD version that will update any architecture, including Server 2008, and burned a DVD. I’ll be able to use that to help any of my neighborhood clients when they come crying that their SP1 won’t load.

February 27, 2011 at 8:35 pm
(10) Tim Fisher says:

@Curtis: I’ve had a bit better luck with the full downloads as well. I’ve seen this happen during service pack releases for Vista and XP as well.

February 27, 2011 at 5:13 pm
(11) Chris says:

DL to a DVD. Have exe. No problem starting the DL.
However had to stop the disk.
? is that Win7 started to install at shutdown. Next time can I continue to update will DL where I stopped off or will DL at the start?

February 27, 2011 at 8:36 pm
(12) Tim Fisher says:

@Chris: I’m a little confused about what you’re asking but if you started a download of the full package for a manual install, chances are the download will start over from scratch, unless you have a download manager you’re using in your browser. If your download of SP1 was interrupted when it was being downloaded from within Windows Update, either could happen – I’ve seen the download pick back up and I’ve seen it start over.

February 28, 2011 at 11:03 pm
(13) Chuck says:

First attempt at download using Windows Update ran very slowly and then hung at 40-some-odd percent.

Multiple restart attempts (with reboots in between) hang with a message referencing a download of 0 bytes, 0%.

I followed Microsoft’s instructions like a good little dweeb and ran the Troubleshooter to “Fix Problems With Windows Update.” The Troubleshooter hangs!

March 1, 2011 at 9:53 am
(14) Tim Fisher says:

@Chuck: HA! Figures. I’d try the manual download if I were you.

March 10, 2011 at 5:54 pm
(15) Nik says:

my ‘Switch User’ functionality has disappeared after SP1 install. Tried everything to restore it but no luck

March 10, 2011 at 8:13 pm
(16) Tim Fisher says:

@Nik: It’s just gone from the shut down menu?

March 30, 2011 at 6:47 pm
(17) Vega Man says:

@Tim Fisher……..same problem as Nik. Yes switch user not on shut down menu. Tried everything to amend registry etc. Re-installed W7 and it was there……………but after SP1 update gone.

April 3, 2011 at 9:08 pm
(18) Tim Fisher says:
April 4, 2011 at 4:57 pm
(19) Vega Man says:

@Tim: have tried that previously but registry entry does not appear for me to delete. have also tried to create it with a disabled value but that didnt work either. unfortunately, cant uninstall SP1 as cleaned up back up files and cleared some restore points to create space. guess i am stuck until a fix by MS is released or reinstall W7 again! Thanks

April 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm
(20) Tim Fisher says:

@Vega Man: Yea, that might be the only option. Just out of curiosity – are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7?

April 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm
(21) Vega Man says:

Tim I have the 32bit…….I would recommend to others to stay away from SP1 ftb. Or if u wish to install then at least leave disk cleanups for a good couple of weeks so that you can roll back if need be!!

April 6, 2011 at 7:26 pm
(22) Tim Fisher says:

@Vega Man: Preparation is never bad advice! I haven’t had nor heard of many issues but caution is usually a good idea.

May 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm
(23) will lee says:

I installed SP1 on my 64 bit but at the end of the installation when the computer reboots, it says “failure configuring service pack. reverting changes” and keeps rebooting over and over.

May 10, 2011 at 7:46 pm
(24) Tim Fisher says:

@will lee: Try booting from the Windows 7 DVD and then do a System Restore from there. When the Windows 7 SP1 install began, it created a restore point for just these kinds of flukes.

July 9, 2011 at 12:56 pm
(25) Lana says:

From the sound of it, I’m glad I can’t even download the update, nevermind install it.