1. Computing
Unsurprisingly, my list of Windows password recovery tools is one of the most popular items on my site. Apparently forgetting your password is, in fact, as common as you might have thought.

The latest password recovery tool I've found is a program that's actually been around for quite a while. It's called Offline NT Password & Registry Editor and it's a free tool that resets your Windows password. It works a lot like PC Login Now, a previously-free program (now it's around $40) that also resets your logon password.

Ophcrack seems to be the most popular password recovery tool but if that doesn't work for you, give Offline NT Password & Registry Editor a try. It's a bit harder to work than Ophcrack with but it's certainly worth the effort if haven't found a way in to your PC.
Comments
August 11, 2009 at 12:03 am
(1) Linda O says:

After buying Windows Password Unlocker 4.0 (which didn’t work on my computer despite my first doing a test run with the dummy version before buying the download–total ripoff) and going to Best Buy which charges $30 to break into my old computer, I decided to give Offline a try. Worked like a charm. I couldn’t believe it! Simple, fast and free! I couldn’t be happier. Just wish I tried it first.

March 9, 2010 at 6:21 pm
(2) Xragoon says:

I tried ophrack before and it did not work, now im trying Offline NT,but one thing is that when i get to step 8 in your guide: Confirm Windows Registry Path, i press enter and it doesnt respond or do anything like i can keep pressing enter but the program does not go on ? whats problem

March 10, 2010 at 9:42 am
(3) Tim Fisher says:

@Xragoon: In my experience, it means that there’s some issue or hardware/file system configuration that ONTP&RE doesn’t understand. If you had similar issues with Ophcrack, I’d take that as a confirmation that there’s something up (by fault or design) on your computer. What that might be I don’t know.

November 30, 2010 at 9:59 pm
(4) Lucy says:

Wow! First I tried ophcracker with no luck. Despondent, I searched the internet and hacked around in my own little way with zero results. Then I tried Offline NT Password…so happy–thrilled is more like it– to see my files and documents and photos again. What a relief! I followed the directions Tim Fisher provided and it was so easy. I recommend this one!

May 25, 2011 at 10:38 am
(5) bernie says:

I have read tons of junk mail on this eternal circle of whatever. Not on place is there a place to download this free offline nt password & registry editor. I get that it works but you advertise it is free well just cut to the meat. Where do you download this ____free !!!!___ tool. Just say where?

May 25, 2011 at 11:41 am
(6) Tim Fisher says:

@bernie: I don’t at all know what you’re referring to. This blog post you just commented on links to my review of the program here. There’s a clear link to download the software on that page, both before and after I explain how to use it. Hope that helps.