1. Computing
Tim Fisher

Google Down?

By March 2, 2009

5/14/09 UPDATE: Looks like Google is down again for some folks this morning. Any ideas anyone? DNS issue maybe?

5/14/09 11:15am CT Update: Off and on maybe? Come on Google! :)

5/14/09 11:22am CT Update: Things just got a whole lot faster for me. What about you?

Update: Google has issued an official statement on today's outage that you can read here.

-----

Is Google down for you too? It's 6:36pm CT on 3/2/2009 and I can't get to Google from its home page at all.

Anyone else?

6:39pm Update: I'm getting a server reset error now instead of a blank page, but still no Google :(

6:45pm Update: DownForEveryoneOrJustMe.com says it's just me but everything else is OK.

6:51pm Update: And we're back!

I get the oddest sensation when Google is down. It's like suddenly missing a limb. Strange.
Comments
March 3, 2009 at 3:12 pm
(1) bdichiara says:

I noticed the same thing yesterday at the exact same time. If you looked at the source code, all you see is

Weird huh? Were we the only 2?

March 3, 2009 at 3:16 pm
(2) Tim Fisher says:

That’s EXACTLY what I saw too! Very weird – no other mention that I can find.

EDIT: Looks like the code you saw wasn’t posted properly in the comments. To everyone else, the source code read “SQUID”.

March 3, 2009 at 3:37 pm
(3) bdichiara says:

Whoops. I posted it to blog. I guess I assumed the comment box would convert my html to chars. It should have read:
<– squid –>

April 3, 2009 at 1:44 am
(4) Mark says:

I’ve been struggling to access google for the fourth day in a row now, April 2, 2009. Both gmail and google don’t load, but other websites do without any problems. Google wont load from their google.fr server. I’ve been able to login to gmail thrice, but not always able to send and then again the server goes down and there is no access for hours. Since its impossible to access google, its not possible to notify them either…
Does anyone even read these comments?

April 3, 2009 at 7:40 am
(5) Tim Fisher says:

Well I read the comments!

Have you tried all the basic stuff – clear cache, etc.? I don’t imagine Google.fr has actually been down this long. It’s probably an issue with your computer.

I just tried accessing it and it came up perfectly fine.

May 14, 2009 at 11:38 am
(6) No Google today says:

Google seems to be down today too, 5/14/09
no gmail either. What gives?

May 14, 2009 at 11:45 am
(7) jeff says:

Yeah, im having issues today with gmail and google too (5/14)

Though, that website said its only me…

Lying websites…

May 14, 2009 at 11:47 am
(8) Denis Nurmela says:

You Tube is down right now too.

May 14, 2009 at 11:53 am
(9) Howard says:

I am down also it seems it is a NE problem

May 14, 2009 at 11:57 am
(10) Tim Fisher says:

Hey guys – this is an old post but yes, I too am having Google related problems today, 5/14.

May 14, 2009 at 11:57 am
(11) Stephen says:

Ditto… 5/14/09 and no google, gmail, etc. I’m at a hotel PC, so I wasn’t sure if it was a client issue or not. Thanks for posting this news, so I can stop cursing at this old POS machine.

May 14, 2009 at 11:59 am
(12) Julie says:

Same thing here. Google issues for the last 45 or so. Google said no issue on their end when we called in. Located in SE.

May 14, 2009 at 12:01 pm
(13) Boris says:

Same problem here, Google services down, May 14, 2009. East Coast USA. Any ideas?

May 14, 2009 at 12:02 pm
(14) Alex says:

Google is down for me too. Search Page opens but doesn’t work and I can’t access my gmail. It’s been going on now for about 45 mins. Located in Southern Ca.

May 14, 2009 at 12:03 pm
(15) mark says:

all of google is down here too- cant get to mail, homepage, search-5/14/2009

May 14, 2009 at 12:04 pm
(16) David says:

Google is down for me as well. I can’t access google.com or gmail. What gives Google?

May 14, 2009 at 12:04 pm
(17) Justin says:

Im having same problems and alot of websites i access seem to have a google component or a whole google part that arent working so the websites arent loading or if they are its very very slow!

May 14, 2009 at 12:06 pm
(18) Justin says:

Same here, no google today (5/14) – Texas

May 14, 2009 at 12:07 pm
(19) oleg says:

Again same thing,
no hosted email, google, gmail…
and http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ says its me….

May 14, 2009 at 12:09 pm
(20) Kay says:

I’ve also been having problems loading any Google pages. I managed to access my gmail account through google.tw. Located around the Washington, DC area.

May 14, 2009 at 12:11 pm
(21) Boris says:

Aaaannnndddd, we’re back. For me at least. Good luck, everyone.

May 14, 2009 at 12:13 pm
(22) Alex says:

Google is UP!!!

May 14, 2009 at 12:16 pm
(23) Shane says:

I am off and on here…its weird…it pings and the dies, pings and dies…Google has become to friggin useful. :)

May 14, 2009 at 1:22 pm
(24) Linda says:

It’s still completely down for me. No google, gmail, googlemaps, gtalk. My entire office can’t access it.

May 20, 2009 at 5:33 pm
(25) Luis says:

Google is down for me, has been down all day.

5/20/09

I feel like I’m missing a piece of myself! =O

June 28, 2009 at 4:15 pm
(26) vipul says:

google crashes down on 29 june 1.40 am

August 7, 2009 at 3:33 pm
(27) Sid says:

Google is down again..

August 10, 2009 at 5:48 am
(28) Google User says:

Google is down from past 5 hours! Even Google Apps has the same porblem along with GTalk.

September 6, 2009 at 5:23 am
(29) Asha says:

Gmail is down for the five hours that’s very rare .. YAHOO has put it as headlines!!!! Is anyone aware that YAHOO is down for the last two days .. their search / mail whatever is either too slow to respond or shows “Page cannot be displayed” …WEIRD and they comment about the few hours of downtime for Google when they can’t fix their problem for days together!!!!!

September 14, 2009 at 1:38 pm
(30) Anand says:

hello, Google is down once again. None of its domains working. Google,Gmail,Youtube,Blogspot,Orkut.. everythign went down. Today is Sep 14,2009 , time: 23:08
Did anyone else face the same?

September 15, 2009 at 7:17 am
(31) Tim Fisher says:

I wonder if this was a localized thing? I checked just a minute after your comment and didn’t have any problem. My guess is that it was an issue with your DNS provider or something else regional outside of Google’s control.

September 14, 2009 at 8:20 pm
(32) Carl says:

Google and all services down, including any site on it’s server! 14/09/2009

September 15, 2009 at 7:18 am
(33) Tim Fisher says:

Did it come back up quickly? There was a report about 7 hours earlier than yours but nothing else.

September 28, 2009 at 3:22 pm
(34) Whit says:

you left a link to a blog…. and the blog is on the google server. fail.

October 10, 2010 at 2:16 am
(35) Samuel Aanapara says:

Today, Sunday, Oct 10, 2010, Google seems to be down in Bangalore, India and none of its services seem to work other than Youtube. Anybody has any idea about what is happening?